Friday, May 8, 2009

Samson & Delilah - a film Australians can rave about!!!

So for those of you who haven't seen this film yet, get your butts to the cinema and SEE THIS FILM!!! And STOP Reading This blog because I am about to rave and I don't want to spoil it for you!!!! Honestly do yourself a favour, grab a friend and go to the movies - you will be moved by your time with this story!



For those of you that have seen this movie...

WOW, huh? I have not been so confronted and so riveted/engaged in a cinema experience in YEARS!!! Incredible. I kept wanting to fill up that silence with inane chatter. I was hyper-aware of how used to the convention of dialogue and chatter I was. I was itching for someone to say something, anything. I wanted to scream at the characters to look around, to open their eyes, to wake up to what was happening. It was like being 5 yo in a pantomime and yelling at the hero "look, look, he's behind you!!" Fantastic.

What I also found inspiring was how shocked and repulsed I felt at the same time as being riveted to the screen. I both wanted to get away, whilst forcing myself to stay, desperate to see what happened next. And I came out the other end of the movie not only knowing that this situation was NOT ok with me, as a fellow Australian and global citizen, and also feeling compelled to explore what I could actively do to make a difference to this poverty. So often I find I've come out of a powerful movie about social issues, shaking my head and thinking "god, that's awful" and yet actually not compelled to act. But Samson & Delilah left me with "What could I do?" "Would this work?" "What if I started an awareness campaign" "What skills/resources do I have that could make a difference to these kids?" Quality questions flowing from a world-class film. I'm sure it will rock the audiences at Cannes.

I am immensely proud to be an Australasian filmmaker when I see films like this come out of our community.

Congratulations to the Director/Writer, Warwick Thornton, the Producer, Kath Shelper, & the whole team who brought us such a deep & moving film.

And congratulations must go to all of those - the local and national government agencies, industry professionals and independent financiers who invested time/money/faith in this project - YOU MADE IT HAPPEN!

Inspired Fellow filmmaker,
Miri
www.lunarwolfproductions.com

PS

The official blog & website:
http://samsonanddelilah.com.au/

Here's an article in the Times about Samson & Delilah going to Cannes, published 11/05/09:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/cannes/article6239726.ece


Samson and Delilah quite literally took my breath away!!!

No comments: