Tuesday, January 13, 2009

365 movies - the concept

Ok, firstly, let me introduce the concept.

I was talking to a photographer friend of mine and he said a phrase which I'm sure I've heard before, but for some reason, it stuck with me and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since...

"What better way to get better at making movies than by watching them"

he was referring to also watching the Special Features and especially any interviews with the filmmakers themselves - be they the writers/directors or producers.

Now I've always had a bit of a love affair with watching movies.

I wouldn't say so far it's been an addiction... but I have the sneaking suspicion that that is only because I haven't fully given myself over to it (as opposed to coffee which I can't stop drinking since I came back from my recent italian viaggio)

And then a couple of days ago I had this idea.... I am committed to making movies. Like, I have given my life to it as surely as I have given my life to my partner and fiancee who I am about to marry in, oh, about 7 weeks! AND I know that in some areas I have a natural talent, a flair and a passion and that is starting to get out and about to people in the industry... but I still feel that I have A LOT to learn. No, correct that, I KNOW I've got EVERYTHING to learn!

And I had this idea.... what if I watched ONE movie EVERY DAY for a YEAR???
How much more would I know by a year's time?
How many more works by directors I love and director's I've as yet not heard of would I have been able to see? Worlds I would have encountered? Characters would I have discovered that titilated, disgusted, intrigued, made me fall in love with...

And ever since that nasty little possibility slid into my brain in the shower... I have not been able to throw it out. I forget about it, I think about other things, become absorbed in my writing, watch a movie on tv... and then, out of nowhere, it comes BAM.
How good would that be???

But I didn't jump on it straight away because I was scared. I was nervous of declaring this crazy intention to the world. Beginning a blog, doing it for a while and then life coming along and all my good intentions might get submerged by the benal, the important, the other things...

and today, on cheap tuesday while my partner was playing ultimate frisbee, I went to VICKY CHRISTINA BARCELONA and I couldn't help thinking... that would be a great movie to start this experiment on. Coz it was so... unexpected. Bizarre. Quirky....

So let's start.
Today is DAY ONE of 365. The movie is Vicky Christina Barcelona, directed and written by Woody Allen.

Inspiration and tinklings of movie magic coming your way,
Miri

www.lunarwolfproductions.com

1 comment:

darcygladwin said...

very ambitious !! your head will be scrambled for sure -- lucky you've got an understanding fiance ! cool look forward to your insights !>