Tuesday, January 13, 2009

365 - DAY ONE - VICKY CHRISTINA BARCELONA

I'm starting with this movie because it was so... bizarre, quirky and unexpected.

I have a confession to make. I haven't watched a lot of Woody Allen in the past. I know, I know, you're probably saying " What? You call yourself a director and you haven't watched Woody Allen?" and you know what... this blog is probably going to be full such embarrassing little secrets get out... but hey - that's what 365 is all about!

So back to VICKY CHRISTINA BARCELONA:

First impressions: I have to say, I was NOT attracted to the story or the characters by the trailer. In fact, I had written it off as a story I would not like. And do you know why? Because I wasn't interested in some story about a guy who gets it off with three gorgeous women at once who each and every one of them could (clearly!) find someone better. That was my first reaction. And it was strong, I know!

But the fascinating thing about this movie was that although I continued to have that opinion, as the movie progressed I found myself able to simultaneously NOT like the choices that the character's made - nor the glib way in which woody approached it through his narration - and yet, little by little, despite myself, I found myself identifying with the characters. I felt empathy and sympathy for them. I didn't get LOST in them, as I have in the past - moved by their passions, tears and laughter etc etc - but I did grow to like them. To admire them. To feel for them.

And more importantly (for a comedy) I had a lot of fun watching it! In fact, I definitely think it's worth watching and a great, fun, quirky comedy. I recommend seeing it. I came out of the cinema and the first thing I did was call my best friend and tell her she Definitely had to see it.

It never left me in stitches - but almost every time he did a reveal or went for a comedic moment - I chuckled or laughed out right - sometimes more than those around me (again, something I'm rather notorious for - that and telling the characters off when they are clearly sabbotaging their chances of happiness/a good life etc etc) and once or twice, I groaned!

So all in all, a great movie.

What did I learn from Allen, the cast and the movie?
I learnt that you don't HAVE to loose yourself completely in a cimematic experience in order to enjoy it. I learnt that you could have a completely satisfying experience from a rolling chuckle. I learnt that sometimes, the comedy is in anticipating exactly what is going to happen next - even if you feel like there is a big magic marker arrow pointing to the trap/embarrassing moment/reversal the character is about to walk into.

I also noticed the performances from the three women were fluid and warmed to by all - if not rock your world deep and meaningful - but really solid. And enjoyable. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I also learnt that a director/writer can stamp their style, their voice into a piece so fully that even if you didn't know their work previously at all, you will come away, inexplicably thinking to yourself... geeez, that was SO Woody Allen.

I also came away thinking: I must see more of his body of work.

Pretty good result when I had a no-way-not-ever-just-not-my-type-of-story kind of reaction to the premise, huh?!

So DAY ONE was a success. I wonder what's next.

Miri
x

No comments: