Thursday, January 31, 2008

A sad time for our industry

As the sadness of the news of Heath Ledgers death swept through the world a few weeks ago, I posted a comment on the SMH newspaper expressing my sadness that such a talented young man and father's life had ended so abruptly. I was surprised myself at how moved I was by the response - heartfelt and honest - that was outpouring from people all over the world.
What a talented and courageous actor to have touched so many.
My thoughts are with his grieving friends and family.

Here was my comment as posted on a forum of smh.com.au in response to the sad news.
You can read other's comment here:
http://blogs.smh.com.au/newsblog/archives/your_say/017048.html?page=fullpage#comments

Such a young & promising life. A tragedy.
I am a filmmaker and I think Broke Back Mountain was an incredible film.

Heath was an incredible actor who was really taking control of his career as an actor and taking on some intelligent and challenging roles. Including the recent "Joker", Bob Dylan in "I'm no there", among others. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

I ask the press to give his family and friends the breathing space they deserve to
express their grief.

It's brought me to thinking that in today's film industry - where we are chomping production times harder and harder to get films through shooting & demanding more and more of our cast & crew - we should reflect on the health of the professionals who are working in this high-stress environment - especially the actors - who have to not only work in those conditions - but also inhabit the emotional world that we are creating.

How can we take better care of each other? How can we look out for our friends & respected fellow industry professionals? As an actor and film maker what practises can I take on to promote mental and physical longevity and foster a strong network of friends and family who can be a grounding influence for the work.

I would also like to take a moment to say I admire those in the film & theatre industry. I have many incredible friends & collegues, and I would like to acknowledge you all for what you are taking on and creating in your life.

Thank you for being a part of mine.

Take care,

Love & Inspiration

Miri

Please feel free to share with me by commenting on this blog as to how we can
look after our friends and family members who are both in the industry and
experiencing such pressures and for those in the rest of our lives who may also
be under similar strain.

I believe community and open conversation are the key...

Love and Inspiration,

Miri

from Lunar Wolf Productions

http://mirina.leonti.googlepages.com/lunarwolfproductions

http://bathroomsandbustops.googlepages.com

1 comment:

Mansi said...

Hi i want to know that would you like to participate in online short film contest where you can win $1500-$4500 and feature film contract as a prize money if yes then check this link
www.filmaka.com/featurefilm